2014 PAN AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP
MEN’S NATIONAL TEAM SELECTION PROCESS
SECTION 1 – PURPOSE
The Senior Men’s National Team Program for 2014 will compete in the 2014 Pan-American Championships. The purpose of this document is to set out the process used by Softball Canada to select athletes to the 2014 Pan-American Championship team.
This selection process has two objectives:
- Select eligible athletes to an Athlete Pool. Athletes in the Pool are those identified by Softball Canada as having demonstrated potential to earn a position on a current or future national team. At any given time, the Athlete Pool represents a ‘snapshot’ of Canadian talent in men’s softball.
- From the Pool, select the best possible Teams for specific events. While some objective criteria will be used to select Teams, it is also recognized that there is a significant subjective element. Subjective elements include such factors as previous and current performance, experience, positional requirements, leadership and team cohesion.
SECTION 2 – ELIGIBILITY
To be eligible to be selected to the Athlete pool, an athlete must be in good standing with Softball Canada, a Canadian Citizen holding a Canadian passport or a person eligible for Canadian Citizenship who is actively pursuing Citizenship.
To be eligible to be selected to a Team, the athlete must meet any age requirements and citizenship requirements stipulated by the organizers of the event at which the Team will be competing.
SECTION 3 – AUTHORITY FOR SELECTION
The Board of Directors has delegated authority for all decision making under this policy to the Head Coach.
The Head Coach has final authority for all selection decisions, including selecting athletes to the Pool, adding additional athletes to the Pool, selecting Teams from the Pool, removing athletes from the Pool or from a Team, and selecting replacement athletes to a Team where applicable. In making selection decisions, the Head Coach will consult with the Operations Manager - National Teams (NT), and with coaching staff, defined for the purposes of this document to include assistant coaches, scouts and evaluators as designated by Softball Canada.
SECTION 4 – ATHLETE SELECTION PROCESS
The Head Coach, in consultation with the coaching staff and Manager – National Teams, will select a pool of up to 40 athletes. The initial pool of athletes will be published on or before March 1st, 2014. Athletes may be added or removed, at the Head Coaches discretion at any time after that date. The selection of the pool will be based on:
- Previous and current performance
- Positional requirements
- Present and projected development and/or improvement
- Leadership/Contribution to team chemistry
- Availability for competition and training
Athletes from the Pool will be selected to the Team, with the goal being to put together the best possible team for any particular event. Factors that will be considered in this selection include physical and technical aspects of the game, as well as team dynamics. These factors, which will be assigned weight by the Head Coach, as he deems appropriate for the decision making process, include:
Previous and current performance
Positional requirements (primary and backup)
Present and projected development and/or improvement
Leadership/Contribution to team chemistry
Availability for competition and training
It is understood that in making selections to create the best possible Team, it is possible that the best individual athletes may not be selected. The Head Coach also has the discretion to name an athlete to a Team even though that athlete may not have been formally named to the pool.
The timelines that will be followed in selecting the Pool and selecting athletes for the Pan-American Championship Team are as follows. Note that specific events, dates and times may be subject to change.
- The Head Coach will identify the initial Pool by March 1st, 2014.
- The Head Coach may add to the pool at any time at their discretion.
- The Coaching staff will scout the Senior Men’s Canadian Championships, the ISC Championships and other events over the course of 2013 and 2014.
- The team will be selected at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the Pan-American Championships (Date TBA)
- Alternates may be added to the Team to replace an athlete removed from the team pursuant to section 5. The addition of alternates to the team is at the sole discretion of the Head Coach and will be in keeping with the philosophy of fielding the best possible team.
UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES/CHANGES TO THE DOCUMENT
If unforeseen circumstances arise which do not allow for this selection process or the above timelines to be implemented as outlined in this document, Softball Canada reserves the right to identify an alternate process or alternate timelines. Should this occur, all athletes in the Athlete Pool will be notified of these changes in a timely manner.
SECTION 5 – REMOVAL FROM THE ATHLETE POOL OR FROM A TEAM
5.1 Upon selection to the Athlete Pool or Team, an athlete must:
a) Sign a Team member agreement
b) Provide Softball Canada with all required documents (passport information etc.)
c) Participate in Team events, activities and meetings, as directed by the Head Coach or his/her designate
d) Ensure they wear proper equipment and clothing
e) Obey all rules established by the Head Coach and/or Softball Canada
f) Assist Softball Canada in public relations and fund raising projects where required
5.2 An athlete may be removed from the Athlete Pool or from a Team where the athlete:
a) Is unable to meet performance expectations
b) Is unable to perform due to injury, illness or for other medical reason as determined by Softball Canada’s medical staff
c) Is unable to commit to National Team Program activities and events (note that an athlete may obtain an
exemption from the Head Coach and Softball Canada)
d) Violates team rules and/or Softball Canada’s policies and procedures
e) Exhibits conduct that is detrimental to the image of the National Team program of Softball Canada.
f) Breaches the Athlete Agreement
g) Voluntarily withdraws
h) Is removed by a Softball Canada Discipline and/or Appeal panel; or
i) Fraudulently misrepresents themselves
SECTION 6 – SUBSTITUTION OF ALTERNATES
Where necessary and appropriate, an athlete removed from a Team may be replaced by an alternate from the Athlete Pool.
SECTION 7 – APPEALS
Softball Canada Pan American Championship team selections may be appealed in accordance with the procedures set out in the Softball Canada Appeals policy.