2012 International Softball Coaches Symposium
March 2-4. 2012
Richmond, British Columbia
Sheraton Richmond Hotel and Conference Centre
7551 Westminster Highway, Richmond, BC
|• Head Coach of Canada’s Senior Women`s National Team|
• Former Head Coach of Canada’s Senior Men`s National Team (2001-2009)
• Level 4 Coach in the NCCP
• Director of Coaching - Sport Nova Scotia & Canadian Sport Center - Atlantic
• Head Coach of Nova Scotia’s 2009 Canada Summer Games Women’s Team
• Former Head Coach of Canada’s 2001 Junior Men`s National Team (Bronze Medal)
• Former Assistant Coach of the 1999 Pan Am Games Men`s Team (Gold Medal)
• 15 years as an athlete on Senior Men`s National Team including numerous Pan Am Games and World Championships
o 5 time Pan American Games Gold Medallist
• Softball Canada Hall of Fame member in the Team and Athlete category
• Member of the International Softball Congress Hall of Fame
Tampa, Florida, USA
• Current Owner of Softball Excellence, (www.softballexcellence.com) a company devoted to online Softball Instruction for coaches, players and parents.
• Current Softball Analyst for ESPN
• Member, NFCA Hall of Fame
• Former Director of Development for the International Softball Federation
• Former Head Coach of the Florida Wahoos – formerly the Georgia Pride – of the Women’s Professional Softball League (WPSL)
• Former WPSL Championship and Coach of the Year
• Former NCAA college softball coach at Arizona State, New Mexico and Wichita State
• Former Director of National/Olympic Teams and Coaching Development for USA Softball
• Author of numerous Video Tapes, Books and Manuals on coaching Softball
• National and Worldwide Speaker and Clinician
• Assistant Coach of Canada’s Senior Women`s National Team
o Winning a Silver medal at the 2011 Pan American Games in Mexico
o Winning Bronze medal at the ISF’s XII Women’s World Championship
• Head Coach of Denmark’s Senior Men’s National Team (2008-2009 )
o 11th place - ISF XII Men’s World Championship in Saskatoon, SK (best finish ever for Denmark)
• Head Instructor and Owner of Power Zone Academy in Abbotsford, BC
• Former player for Canada’s Senior Men’s National Team
o ISF World Champion 1992, Silver Medal 1996
o Pan Am Gold Medalist 1991 & 1995
o 8 year member of Canadian Men’s National Fast Pitch Team
o Canadian National Championship, 1 Gold, 3 Silver, 3 Bronze
o Canadian National Batting Champion
o ISC World Batting Champion
o 2 Time ISC All-World Team
o 2 Time All-Canadian Team
• Inducted into the Saskatoon Sports Hall of Fame
• Graduated from the 4 year Physical Education Program at the University of Saskatchewan
• Former Assistant Coach for Simon Fraser University Women’s Softball team
• 2005 Team BC coach at Canada Summer Games
• Assistant Coach of Canada’s Senior Women`s National Team (2009 – present)
o Bronze medal at the 2010 ISF World Championship
• Former Assistant Coach of the Canadian Junior Women’s National Team (2006-2007) that participated in the VIII ISF Junior Women’s World Championship in Enschede, Netherlands
• Former NCAA Division 1 Associate Head Coach (2008-2010) and Assistant Coach (2005-2008) at Winthrop University
• Former NCAA Division 1 softball player at the University of Delaware (1999-2003)
• Softball instructor at Home Run Baseball Academy in Ajax, Ontario
• Pitching Coach for Canada’s Senior Women’s National Team
• Former Senior Men’s National Team player:
o Pan American Games (1979 & 1983)
o 1980 ISF Men’s World Championship
• CANpitch Master Pitching Instructor and member of Softball Canada’s CANpitch Committee
• Competed nationally as pitcher at an elite level:
o 15 Canadian Championships
o Senior A or Open level for 18 seasons in both Saskatoon and Victoria as well as 1 season in the Boston area
o Numerous ISC world tournaments
• Softball Canada Hall of Fame member
• Softball BC Hall of Fame member
• Saskatoon Sports Hall of Fame member
• Victoria Sports Hall of Fame member
• Coached minor softball since 1995 at many different age levels and at both A & B levels as either the Head Coach or Assistant Coach.
• Current member of Softball Canada’s Board of Directors
• Former Senior Women’s National Team pitcher competing at:
o 2004 Olympic Games
o 2003 Pan American Games
o 2002 & 2006 ISF Women’s World Championship
• CANpitch Master Pitching Instructor and Chair of Softball Canada’s CANpitch Committee
• Former NCAA Division 1 Assistant Coach at the University of Massachusetts
• Private pitching coach and consultant to Planet Fastpitch
Canadian Sport For Life Expert
• Project Leader of the Canadian Sport for Life (CS4L) movement and a member of the Leadership Team.
• He has extensive leadership experience in the Canadian sport community including working with countless organizations on strategic planning and management functions.
• Faculty member at the University of Delaware`s (UD) Institute for Global Studies (IGS) instructing in the International Coaching Enrichment Certificate Program
• The Director of Sport for Vancouver’s successful 2010 Bid Corporation
• Twelve years with the Government of BC primarily in coaching education and training.
• A two-sport athlete, Richard represented Canada as a Luge athlete and coach as well as being an All-Canada-West soccer player with the University of Calgary.
• He now coaches his children at the community sport level.
BC Sport Agency - Manager Sport Technical & Performance Services
• Currently oversees sport performance and technical services for the BC Sport Agency and the implementation of the Canadian Sport for Life program into the BC Sport, Education, Recreation and Health sectors in BC.
• He is a graduate of Simon Fraser University with a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology.
• Drew has worked extensively in the sport system as an educator and developer of programs for the past 17 years.
o Former Manager of Science & Medicine programs for SportMedBC where he worked with over 50 different sports at the local, provincial and national level.
o Former Health & Lifestyle Coordinator at the Downtown Vancouver YMCA.
• He is also a past member of the Canadian National Canoeing Team.
• Drew has been involved in sport and fitness for 39 years as an athlete, coach, administrator and volunteer.
Senior Men`s National Team Player
• Current player on Canada’s Senior Men’s National Team (2006 – current)
o 2009 ISF Men`s World Championship (Bronze) - Saskatoon, SK
o 2008 Three Nations Challenge (Canada/USA/Japan)
o 2007 Test Series vs. New Zealand
o 2006 Pan-Am Championship - Hermacillo, Mexico
• Played in four Canadian Championships, winning Gold in 2007 as a member of the Vancouver Grey Sox, garnering Most Valuable Player, Top Batter and All-Star First Baseman honours.
• Provincial Umpire-in-Chief (UIC) for Softball BC (2009 – present)
• ISF certified umpire since 1989 and represented Canada at:
o 2009 ISF Men`s World Championships, Saskatoon, SK
o 2000 International Softball Cup at Olympic Stadium, NSW, Australia
o 1994 World Masters Games in Brisbane, Australia
o 1993 ISF Jr. Men`s World Championship in Auckland, NZ
• Acted as UIC or Deputy UIC at BC Summer Games, Western Canadian Championships, BC Provincial Championships, Vancouver Challenge Invitational’s, Red Rock Invitational`s (St.George, Utah), six Canadian Championships including Midget Boys, Junior Women, Junior Men and Senior Men, 2010 Canadian Open International Women`s Championship and the 2011 Scotiabank Canadian Open International Women`s Championship.
• Softball Canada Level V umpire since 1988 and umpired in:
o 7 Canadian Championships (6 Senior Men`s and 1 Senior Women`s)
o 4 ISC World tournaments (2002-2005)
o 2 NAIA National Collegiate Championships
o 3 North American Challenge Cups (Women in 1986; Men in 1990 and 1992)
o 15 straight Canada Cup Women’s Internationals
o Over 25 major tournaments outside of North America including the Chinese Olympics. Chinese National Games, Mexico Championships, and also worked the Australian, New Zealand and Canada Senior Men’s championships within a year.
• Member of Softball Canada’s Officials Development Committee (ODC) 2003-2004.
• Master Instructor and Evaluator for Softball Canada’s National Officials Certification Program
• Instructed at umpire seminars worldwide in Brazil, New Zealand, USA, Mexico and Australia including at 4 Softball Canada Umpire Blue Conventions specializing in Fast Pitch Plate Mechanics and Umpire / Player-Coach Relationship Management.
• Conducted two ISF Seminars in China for members of the CSA Board of Directors, Provincial and Olympic coaches and for their elite umpire pool.
• Bob is highly respected as an enthusiastic and passionate instructor of softball officiating and is well known as one of the finest softball umpires in the world.
Executive Director - Promotion Plus
• As Executive Director for ProMOTION Plus Christine and the organization ensure opportunities for girls and women in BC to participate in sport and recreation.
• Christine’s participation in physical activity at an early age gave way to competitive athletics in high school, university and beyond; she is still competing in masters’ events today. Inducted into the UBC Sports Hall of Fame, volleyball would be considered her first sport.
• Coming from an education background, prior to ProMOTION Plus Christine worked for 2010 Legacies Now as Manager of Healthy Living Initiatives overseeing several projects leading up to and during games time.
• As an athlete, coach, administrator, parent, and volunteer with a background in stakeholder relations and an innate ability to organize and connect seemingly unrelated initiatives and programs; management and leadership are her strengths.
Coaches Association of BC - Technical Director
• Laura is a Master Learning Facilitator in the NCCP and holds her professional designation of Chartered Professional Coach (ChPC) with the Coaches of Canada. Having been involved in many sports, Laura has coached from the grassroots to the national level. She is a Level 3 & Competition-Development certified coach in the NCCP.
• Currently completing the Executive Management program at Sauder School of Business, Laura has a Bachelor of Science in Human Kinetics (University of British Columbia), a Diploma in Sport Science (Douglas College) and a Diploma in Coaching (Douglas College). She is on the Board of Directors for ProMotionPlus, the BC organization for Women in Sport. Laura also has her own business providing educational workshops and training opportunities for coaches and athletic development.
Certified Athletic Trainer & Safetu Coordinator - SportMed BC
• Seb has worked with a variety of professional and amateur teams and has a great deal of experience managing athletes suffering from concussions
• He has worked with the CFL’s Toronto Argonauts, York University’s men’s hockey and volleyball teams, along with Laurentian University’s men’s soccer team.
• He has also provided coverage at the Ontario Winter Games, International Muay Thai events and Jon Elkin’s hockey goalie school
2012 INTERNATIONAL SOFTBALL COACHES SYMPOSIUM